Closed Thread

Thread: Firewall Leak Tester [Guillaume Kaddouch (gkweb)]

VoodØØ Child™ hayc59 will become famous soon enough hayc59's Avatar

Default Firewall Leak Tester [Guillaume Kaddouch (gkweb)]

Welcome to Firewall Leak Tester Website

What is 'Firewall Leak Tester'?
    This website, on one hand, enables you to test your software personal firewall thanks to different test programs ('leaktests'), and on the other hand, shows a global vulnerabilities view of the most common personal firewalls in a summary page.
    Firewall Leak Tester provides also documentation and advices to improve your security dramatically.

What Firewall Leak Tester is testing?
    Nowadays, threats from the Internet are growing, both from the inside and the outside.
    To answer to a security need from Internet users (us), security software firms have created "personal firewalls", softwares acting like real hardware firewalls, but on user's computers.
    These personal firewalls have network level filtering, that we will name "network filtering", and an outbound application filtering that we will name "software filtering".

Due to the fact that most of these personal firewalls offer reasonable protection against inbound attacks coming from the Internet, we will only study here their software filtering, outbound filtering that can be stressed by Trojans which try to initiate themselves by connecting to the outside to transmit data out.

To test this software filtering feature, many leaktests (""leak"" test) exist, they are programs created by different authors, each trying to bypass the personal firewalls with his own trick.

What is the purpose of Firewall Leak Tester ?

The purpose of this website is to inform users, to explain, and then to help improving your security.

1-In a first part, if you are interested by the results themselves, you can check the scoreboard, use yourself the leaktests available on the left menu, and read the explanations available on the document page.

2-In a second part, you can improve your security by reading the advices page and also the software page, to protect you againt every leaktest. Do not miss the reward page showing excellent sandbox softwares.

3-Finally, you can check my personal software area on the left menu 'TOOLS', providing softwares I am doing on my spare time to improve Windows security.

I wish you a good reading,
    Guillaume Kaddouch (gkweb)

Website Info: Firewall Leak Tester
    Last edited by hayc59; October 9th, 2006 at 10:14 PM.

'Never Forget'

Windows Security

Default Re: Firewall Leak Tester [Guillaume Kaddouch (gkweb)]

Firewall Leak Tester NEWSLETTER
    August 1 2006: RemoveWGA Not Helping Piracy
    Piracy is Illegal
    I have received some complaints from users who said that RemoveWGA was not working on their system. RemoveWGA was saying that WGA notification was not active, despites the WGA popups telling the user their Windows was pirated.
    After investigation, it appears that RemoveWGA works well on legit Windows copies (it detects the WgaLogon DLL being loaded) but is unable to see the DLL on pirated Windows, hence saying that WGA notification is not active. In fact, Windows seems to cloak the DLL from RemoveWGA purposefully if it is running on a pirated copy.
    At first, as I didn't know that RemoveWGA was not working only on pirated OS, I made a fix to make it to work in all cases, and I posted it on a forum. After discovering that only pirates had the problem, I quickly removed the fix and the manual steps to disable and remove the WGA notification tool on pirated Windows.
    While I still think that honest people being wrongly spotted as pirate should be helped, they are a minority, and should contact Microsoft. The other real pirated copies should not receive any help. I do not support piracy, I'm strongly against it, and will stand on this.
    RemoveWGA is done to help legit Windows users to remove the WGA Notification update if they installed it inadvertedly, and feel concerned about their privacy and security. It will not work on not genuine copies.
    If you are running a pirated Windows, you must buy a valid and legit licence
    View Source: RemoveWGA Not Helping Piracy

'Never Forget'

Windows Security

Default Re: Firewall Leak Tester [Guillaume Kaddouch (gkweb)]

October 7 2006 : New test board, "Firewall termination defense" testing
    38 termination methods used
    A new firewall termination test page is born !
    Leaktests methods can be used to bypass silently your firewall, but what if it can be simply terminated and disabled, and then your data being sent out normally without using any leaktest trick ? Some malware in the wild are trying to terminate various Anti-Virus and Firewall softwares, so I thought it may worth to add a test for that also.
    13 firewalls are tested against 38 termination methods, which means at least 500 tests done. As some tests are repeated many times to ensure the correctness of the result, this is a great ammount of work. That explains why I didn't test all known firewall available, and why I didn't use all termination tools I've found. However I plan later to add more tools and firewalls to the test bed, this time is just the begining.
    I have used for the tests public termination tools freely available for anyone, thus for the firewall vendors themselves. However, as for the leaktests, all of these termination methods used are only the known ones, it probably exists some unknown and unpublished ways of termination. Always think to what might happen while securing yourself (e.g : monitoring process execution to block potential unknown threats), and not only to what is currently known
    Source: Firewall Leak Tester NEWSLETTER

'Never Forget'

Windows Security

Closed Thread

Thread Information